Eyes may be tough but they need to be cared for, particularly from exposure to dirt, dust, pollution and smoky atmosphere.
Tips for healthy eyes
- Get into the habit of starting the day by splashing your open eyes with cold water
, so that they are thoroughly cleaned and stimulated.
- Avoid using too much of eye drops, rather it is better to squeeze fresh cucumber juice into your eyes.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily.
- Your sleep pattern should be composed of at least 7 hrs.
- Make sure to remove all traces of eye make up before going to bed for it might cause infection in the roots of eyelashes.
- Do rest your eyes at least every 30 minutes when you are reading, sewing, using a computer or the likes, by looking up and focussing at distant objects.
- Make sure that your diet contains good sources of Vitamin A, such as cereals, celery, oily fish, egg yolk and liver. If your eyes are itchy, watery or bloodshot you could be lacking in Vitamin B2 which can be found in brewer's yeast, liver and whole grain cereals.
- Do make sure that your computer and television screens are sharply focused.
- Do not rub or stretch the skin under the eyes-it is very delicate and is easily damaged.
- Don't read in poor light; the light should come from behind or above rather than from the front.
- Don't look directly at the sun, as you might be tempted to do during an eclipse; even the darkened sun can cause severe and permanent damage. Similarly, avoid staring at any bright or glaring lights.
- Don't read for more than two hours at a stretch. Give a rest in between to your eyes for 10 min by putting the palms of your hands over them and shutting out the light.
- Do wear sunglasses when in bright sunlight.
- While using beauty aids, use only herbal products or hypo-allergic beauty-aids. (Hypo allergic beauty aids are those products whose application doesn't cause any allergy.)
- The skin around the eyes and eye-lids is very soft and delicate. Rubbing a little of almond oil, around your eyes before you retire, would keep the skin soft and glowing. The juice of a water-melon is also a very good substitute of almond oil, particularly in summers when you might like to avoid using greasy oil. This juice also takes away the wrinkles around the eyes.
- If you are used to having alcohol. slash its consumption to the minimum. Alcohol not only adversely affects your eye-sight but also dries the skin, around your eyes, and leaves dark rings. The same is true for smoking
Dark Circles - Natural eye care, removing dark circles
- Grate 3 pieces of cucumber and squeeze them through a muslin cloth and extract the juice. Dip cotton pads in this juice for 2 minutes and place on eyelids and darkened areas. Relax for 15 minutes for best results continue for 2 to3 days.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Tomato pulp,1 pinch of Turmeric powder, half teaspoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of gram flour. Make a paste of the above ingredients and apply gently on the eye lids and the darkened areas and let it remain for half an hour. Remove gently with moist cotton pads after half an hour. Repeat this for a week
Deep Sunken Eyes - Herbal treatment
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with half teaspoon of almond oil. Apply the above mixture gently on the eyes at bedtime. Repeat this for a week.
- Soak 5 Almonds overnight. Peel them and mix it with a glass of milk eat the almonds by chewing well. Repeat this in the morning for 21 days should definitely help.
- Slice a raw Potato and circle the closed eyes with these halves. Or else grate a raw Potato and place on Muslin cloth and squeeze. Place these on the eyes and relax for 15-20 minutes.
- Place cotton pads dipped in chilled milk before boiling on the eye lids while relaxing for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl of chilled water add few drops of Vitamin E oil. Dip cotton pads for 5 minutes in this and place on the eyes while relaxing for 20 minutes everyday.
Eyecare Instructions for people using computers and computer professionals
Spending long hours in front of television or computers is part of peoples life today. Especially if you are a computer professional, there is usually no escape from it. This causes many eyes and vision related problems in future. Here are some useful eye care tips for computer users.
- After every 20 to 30 minutes of work, look at a distant away object and blink several times. This will help in better focusing
- Blink frequently. People tend to reduce blink rate while working on computer. This can lead to dry eyes. Try to blink 12 to 15 times every minute.
- Exercise you eyes at frequent intervals. Eye exercise is simple. All you need to do is just blink several times, then close your eyes and role them in clockwise and anti clockwise direction. While doing this, inhale and exhale slowly and open your eyes slowly after doing this.
- Rub your palms against each other till them become warm. Cover your eyes with your warm palms for about a minute. Palming is another great way to relax and soothe your eyes.
- Splashing water on you face during breaks can keep you refreshed. This also helps in cooling your eyes.
- A few minutes of walk during breaks will refresh your body and mind. It is also good for your eyes as walking increases blood supply to your eyes.
- Fix an anti glare screen on to your monitor or use anti glare glass while working on computers. Also position the monitor and lights in such a manner that glare from the screen is minimum.
Simple exercises for improving eyes vision
[ 1 ]SUN TREATMENT: Sit comfortably facing the sun with EYES CLOSED and sway the body gently from side to side like a pendulum for 5 minutes. Remember to keep the eyes closed and not open. Hot sun at noon should be avoided. Morning or evening is the best time for sun treatment. It should be stopped as soon as the sun causes discomfort.
[ 2 ] EYE WASH: After the sun treatment, come to the shade and wash the eyes with cold water.
[ 3 ] PALMING: Palming is a great relaxation for both the mind and the eyes. In palming, one should close and cover the eyes with the hollow of the palms, so as to shut off all light. Now a completely dark field will be observed before the eyes. After covering the eyes, imagine familiar things, thus, girls like to imagine dolls and boys a game of cricket. This helps to relax the eyes. Do this for 5 minutes.